Skills and Development - Wigan
Wigan is the second-most populous local authority in GM (319,700 as of March 2015), making up 12% of the total GM population. Wigan’s business growth is driven by a dynamic manufacturing sector, which remains the area’s largest employer, followed by retail and health services.
Key growth sectors include financial and professional services, and sport. Close transportation links to surrounding areas, such as Merseyside and Lancashire, make Wigan a key gateway location in GM (statistics courtesy of New Economy Manchester).
Below are some key figures highlighting the work of our Skills team in Wigan:
- 280 Chamber members
- 119 individuals engaged in the Employer Ownership of Skills (EOS) programme
- 16 Occupational Competency Reviews undertaken
- 29 Skills Reviews conducted
- 145 training plans created
- 343 employers engaged through the Growth and Innovation Fund
For more information and to find out how we can help your business, call 0161 393 4321.