Wigan Business Awards 2020
Wigan Business Awards 2020
We are delighted to announce that from Friday 24 April 2020 we will be accepting nominations for the Wigan Business Awards 2020. Celebrating business excellence across the Borough, the Awards highlight the achievements and hard work of a diverse range of Wigan businesses.
The Awards will be presented at the glittering Wigan Business Awards Dinner taking place on Friday 13 November 2020 (venue tbc) – more information on this will follow!
Categories & Criteria 2020
1. BUSINESS OF THE YEAR AWARD - Sponsorship Available
This is the premier award in Wigan borough's business year for companies of any size, working in any commercial or industrial sector. The company must demonstrate:
- turnover of at least £5 million a year;
- a successful track record of excellence and achievement;
- measureable growth, increased trading profit, new product/service development or new production techniques.
2. FAMILY BUSINESS OF THE YEAR - Sponsorship Available
This award will recognise and celebrate the unique contribution family businesses have made to Wigan borough's economy, history and culture. The judging panel will look at areas including:
- length of trading and family dynamics;
- contribution to the local economy;
- special achievements;
- contribution to the community and the promotion of the area outside of the region.
3. SMALL OR MEDIUM ENTERPRISE OF THE YEAR AWARD - Sponsorship available
The award seeks to recognise an SME or enterprise from any industry that has been operating for at least two years and turnover up-to £5 million. Judging criteria will be based on:
- a solid vision for the future growth of the company.
4. WERE BACKING WIGAN AWARD - Sponsorship available
This award will recognise any social or community enterprise, charitable organisations with a social purpose and/or a not-for-profit basis. Entrants must demonstrate:
- that it understands the needs of its local community/individuals and show evidence of the positive impact it has had;
- an innovative approach to the way it operates;
- key objectives and how it meets these;
- how it will grow and sustain future development.
5. SOMETHING TO SHOUT ABOUT AWARD - Sponsorship available
This award is for firms who feel they are world class examples of quality in business. Companies need to demonstrate what makes them special - a spectacular client base, superb staff, or an amazing innovation - to showcase our very best local business acumen! Judges will be looking at:
- staff development
- customer service
6. START-UP ENTERPRISE OF THE YEAR AWARD - Sponsorship available
This award recognises a Wigan-based enterprise in any sector which has been trading for less than two years as at the end of August 2020. They will need to demonstrate:
- passion, vision and capacity for realising this vision;
- sound research and planning, with a focus on future growth;
- creative thinking and problem solving;
7. YOUNG ENTREPRENEUR OF THE YEAR AWARD - Sponsorship available
This award will celebrate entrepreneurs aged 30 and under (as at end of July 2020). Entrants must be able to demonstrate real ambition, drive, skills and vision to ensure their business or businesses succeed and have started to show an impact in the local, regional or global community. Judges will be looking at:
- passion, vision and evidence of running a successful business;
- a sound business plan for the future development of the company, current performance and projected growth;
- challenges faced and obstacles overcome in becoming an entrepreneur ie work/life balance/social pressure
8. DIGITAL & CREATIVE BUSINESS OF THE YEAR AWARD - Sponsorship Available
This category aims to recognise a business that has contributed to Wigan’s digital transformation. The judging panel will look at areas including:
- a business that can demonstrate how utilising online tactics or ‘Cloud’ based tools have contributed to their success and that of their customers;
- innovative usage of online platforms e.g. e-learning, web/app development, data management, social and media;
- growth and plans for the future;
- staff development to bridge the skills gap and generate employment.
CLICK HERE TO ENTER THE AWARDS - PLEASE NOTE THIS LINK WILL NOT BE LIVE UNTIL FRIDAY 24 APRIL 2020.
Rules of entry:
- All entries must be from businesses working within the Metropolitan boundaries of Wigan and Leigh.
- Nominations will only be accepted on the official entry form BY THE CLOSING DATE OF FRIDAY 24 JULY 2020.
- The information provided on the entry form must be accurate. The panel of judges may request further supporting information, if required.
- Information supplied on or with the entry form may be used in the Wigan Today and associated Greater Manchester Chamber materials such as programme, website and press releases. However, any information clearly marked as confidential will be treated in the strictest possible confidence and will not be used in any publicity.
- Original entry forms will be kept by the organisers. Photocopies will be circulated to members of the judging panel.
- The decision of the organisers, sponsors, or any of the judges, is final in respect of all matters concerning these awards, including the interpretation of these rules. The organisers have the right to reallocate an entry if they feel it has more opportunity to win in another category.
- All entrants will be expected to co-operate with the publicity surrounding the awards scheme should their entry prove successful.
- Participation in the Wigan Business Awards means acceptance of these rules and regulations.
- Should you be shortlisted for an Award, once notified all companies must be available on both Monday 5th October and Tuesday 6th October 2020 for a 20-minute face-to-face interview with the Judging Panel. No formal presentation is required. Judging panel interviews will be held at the DW Stadium.
- All shortlisted companies are required to attend the Wigan Business Awards Dinner, which will take place on Friday 13th November 2020 (venue tbc). Tickets can be purchased by emailing: email@example.com
- ALL ENTRIES MUST BE RECEIVED BY THE CHAMBER BY THE CLOSING DATE OF FRIDAY 24 JULY 2020
FOR DETAILS OF SPONSORSHIP OF THE AWARDS PLEASE CONTACT: VICTORIA.KERR@GMCHAMBER.CO.UK