From 1st April 2019, Greater Manchester Fire & Rescue Service will be amending its response to Automatic Fire Alarms (AFAs).
Greater Manchester’s policy from 1st April will be to:
1. Not respond to AFAs at non-sleeping risk premises between the hours of 8am and 5pm (outside these hours a one pump attendance will be made), unless the caller reasonably believes a fire has broken out
2. To continue to respond to the following premises with the pre-determined attendance:
- COMAH/REPPIR site
- High rise residential blocks
- Premises having an enhanced reliability (double knock) system (following approval)
3. To continue to respond to premises with unique risk-based plans according to the increased pre-determined attendances
There will be no change to the way AFAs are handled when they originate from a sleeping risk premises (any premises with sleeping accommodation including all hospitals).