On the 1st April 2021, The Egyptian Government introduced a new ACI pre-shipment system, this new system will be mandatory for all sea freight shipments from the 1st July 2021. The ACI procedures currently do not apply to land or airfreight shipments. This new decree is aimed at simplifying shipping procedures for export to the Egyptian markets. Please note that there are no changes to the type of shipping documents required for export to Egypt and Certification / legalisation procedures via the Chamber and the Egyptian Consulate, remain in place. From 1st July 2021, you will no longer need to send hard copies of your documents to Egypt, instead you will be required to upload and submit all documents digitally via CargoX.
New ACI Pre-Shipment Procedure Explained:
Nafeza (https://www.nafeza.gov.eg/) A new National Single Window for Foreign Trade Facilitation. Nafeza aims to simplify shipping procedures.
- Register with Nafeza.
- Create an Account on CargoX.
- Fill out pre-import shipping information for each shipment (this includes information about the Egyptian importer, the overseas exporter and the shipment itself).
- The import is approved within 48 hours, before physical shipment of the goods.
- A unique ACID number is issued for the import which is automatically sent to the Egyptian importer and overseas exporter.
- When the shipment arrives in Egypt, goods are released immediately without delay.
CargoX (https://cargox.Io/) is Nafeza’s official service provider. CargoX is a digital platform that allows importers and exporters to securely transfer documents using blockchain technology. A unique ACID (Advanced Cargo Information Declaration) number is issued via CargoX for each shipment.
- The overseas exporter needs to create an account on CargoX (if the exporter opts to use a freight forwarder or broker to handle their shipping documents, please they can handle on behalf of the exporter)
- The overseas exporter automatically receives a unique ACID number after the pre-import shipping request submitted by the Egyptian importer is approved.
- The overseas exporter needs to include this ACID number on all required shipping documentation (these include a Certificate of Origin, Invoice, Bill of Lading and Packing List and any other documents requested by the importer)
- The overseas exporter needs to upload all required shipping documents onto the CargoX platform, digitally sign and transfer the documents to the recipients.
It is important to note that any shipments prepared prior to the 1st July 2021 via the old method (and they therefore do not have the ACID number listed) will be allowed to enter Egypt, even when the shipment arrives at the Egyptian port after 1st July 2021. Any shipments prepared from the 1st July 2021 will need to be submitted via CargoX and shipping documents need to show the ACID number.
To learn more about the Egyptian ACI filing via the CargoX system, please watch this demo: